Sunday, September 16, 2012

Home

We're just back from a weekend spent in Dalby. Where you ask? Its our home town and, yes, I married a boy from school! The place has experienced somewhat of a boom since we lived there but it is still essentially the same farming town where I grew up as the Police Sargent's Daughter. My family no longer live there but my Husband's family are still very much part of the community. I love that I still have that strong connection to where I grew up. It's only in recent years I've grown so proud of my heritage. I love being from the country. You know what they say 'you can take the girl out of the country but you can't take the country out of the girl'? So cheesy yet so true.

Anyway, so we spent yesterday afternoon strolling the neighbourhood where our family lives taking snaps of our favourite homes along the way. We took more photos in a 2 block radius than one blog post can handle. We must have looked odd ambling along the footpath peering over fences taking pics. Thankfully no one called the local constabulary.

Here are some of the faves I wanted to share.



Digging the arbour.



Just beautiful with a garden to match.



The best fence on the best house in the best street.



And here she is. The pale pink house of my dreams.
She needs a little TLC but she is charming.



See what I mean? Kind of stops your heart really.




This gem went up for Auction yesterday.
Not sure if it sold or for how much. But I'd be happy to bet it would be a fraction of the price if this house was situated in downtown Holland Park!



Serious gate envy.



Yep, it really is as quiet as it looks.

Being that we managed to not get arrested for taking photos of other peoples homes I am going to risk doing the same here in my own neighbourhood. My house is a post war and although she is lovely and has come a long way from the unloved, unpainted, unkept diamond in the rough there are some great examples of Queenslanders and bungalows around here I'd love to share.

I always feel rested after a weekend 'out home'. I'm not sure if its the lack of traffic and the slower pace or the familiar faces and the inevitable reminiscing I always do when I go home. Either way its always good for the soul to spend some time reflecting on where you have come from and where you are going. 

Special credit to my Niece and Husband for their photographic expertise. Whoa Nelly! really is a family affair.

Until my exciting mid-week window seat extravaganza post. Oh yeah, its coming together like no one's business.    

J xx

2 comments:

  1. Such pretty houses. I would love to own a Queenslander again, they have so much character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lesley...I love old houses especially Queenslanders. Homes with history just have so much soul. The dusty pink house with the beautiful fence just stops me heart. She is just crying out for some TLC. It's a shame she isn't in the City (but if she was I could probably never afford her). One day!!!!

    Hope you and your little people are well.

    ReplyDelete